To all residence in Div 12

Dear Fellow Residents,

As 2011 has come to a close, it is timely to reflect on the year that was and look at the year to come.

It feels like yesterday when this region was being pummelled by record storms at the start of the year. To me, it was incredibly heartening being a part of Division 12, as the community came together and stepped up to the plate in the face of adversity.

Not only did we help each other, but the main evacuation centre for division 12 supported and sent over 50 ute loads (trucks couldn’t be used because of the damaged roads) of essentials to our neighbouring regions in need, including Gatton.

It is this stuff that humbles and reminds me I have the best job in the world, serving the community of Division 12 as your local Councillor.

We are now better prepared to react instantly to emergencies (very much in our minds with the current weather) with the formation of a new State Emergency Service (SES) unit based at Woodford. I have watched this group of dedicated volunteers come together from the start, and enjoyed the excitement when they put their new uniforms on for the first time just a few nights ago. They can’t wait for their new flood boat to turn up any day now!

The SES will work alongside the many dedicated Qld Fire, Rural Fire, Ambulance and Police that have and continue to serve this community so well.

The devastating storms stirred me to intensify my focus on our local roads. So many showed signs of immediate damage and drastically shortened life, plus the growing demand by increasing traffic. I took calls on this into all hours of the night and received heaps of great, detailed information on road issues through my website.

With all this in mind and the voice of this community in strong support, this region (Division 12) is in the process of receiving a record $18.5million for local Council roads. This excludes State and Federal roads.

Much of the road rebuilding and upgrading is already underway with a big emphasis on planning to get it right for the long range future.

Having good roads is a good investment that brings many returns to the community in ways such as safety, less wear-and-tear on your vehicle and making this place somewhere people are proud to call theirs.

I am proud to call Division 12 home, and I get super excited when there is a chance to show it off and attract visitors. We now have the first Moreton Bay Hinterland Visitor Information Centre (MBHVIC).

To get the MBHVIC project off the ground, I lent my sticker van (yes, I was a sign writer before becoming a Councillor) which is set up on the D’Aguilar Highway, Woodford. These humble beginnings for the MBHVIC has taken the experts by surprise due to the high number of inquires it consistently deals with.

The MBHVIC team is made up of dedicated volunteers mostly from within Division 12 with a few from outside the Moreton Bay region altogether. These people focus on encouraging visitors to boost the local economy right across Division 12, which helps build this great community.

There are so many great community organisations all working so hard to build this community including  the Caboolture Environmental Education Centre (CREEC).

I had the privilege of rolling my sleeves up, picking up a shovel and planting one of CREEC’s trees on the North East Business Park site just a couple of weeks ago. A great way, I believe, to do something practical for the environment, and to be involved in the exciting stuff community groups are getting up to.

As your Councillor, I am determined in 2012 to see our region continue building a vibrant, family-like community, doing more than it takes to see Division 12 embrace a bright, cohesive future.

My vision includes community groups getting the resources to do what they do best, enable community participation and support, and making sure Council infrastructure continues to be accelerated in Division 12.

2012 is also going to be an election year, and up until now I have just kept my head down and sleeves up serving Division 12. Unfortunately, a publication was distributed recently questioning what I’m about.

I don't wish to enter into a debate or campaign against Moreton First, a political campaign publication produced by Mayor Allan Sutherland and 10 of the 12 Councillors.

However, I need to answer the allegations it makes. I'm talking about two particular allegations: Firstly, yes I am an LNP member and I was on management with the Nationals before the two political parties merged.

This has been my apprenticeship in how to get effective outcomes for the community through a political process, and remains a stream of knowledge and resources. However, this has never hindered my ability to represent Division 12 of the MBRC independently.

Just one example that comes to mind: the Rail to Redcliffe. I voted against it after investigating the cost versus benefit for division 12. The LNP supported this project.

I would also like to point out; I have people I count as close friends from all sides of politics including 'card-carrying Labor members' in Council, State and Federal politics. This helps you get stuff done.

Secondly, I rigorously stick to the path I have chosen because it gets the best outcomes for Division 12. My motto is: "Serving you as your local Councillor." My phone is always on, I live in and breathe Division 12, I am heavily involved with community groups and meet face to face with individuals to do the absolute best I can for Division 12.

It hurts me when I am accused otherwise, but my intention is to keep doing what I’m doing. I encourage you to contact me with any questions, ideas, suggestions or comments at anytime. And I above all encourage you to get involved in this fantastic region.


Cheers

Adrian Raedel
These are just a few:

1 comment:

  1. look at the real issues stop the abuse of the local by laws and stop grandstanding

    ReplyDelete